Wednesday, October 10, 2012

From Danny's Cousin

“Who is your hero” is a question that I have been asked many times. Before, I could never quite grasp the concept of what a hero was. I knew that superheroes were people in comic books who had super powers, but I had never met someone like that. Did heroes truly exist? After seventeen years of searching for the answer, I found it. I found the one man to call my “Superman,” and it is my cousin Danny.

Danny is your typical twenty-seven year old guy who enjoys hanging out with friends and can always be found watching football. He never hesitates to ask me how I am, and I will never forget the time he asked me to dance at our cousin’s wedding. Danny always knew what he wanted for his future, and he worked hard to accomplish that task. On the first try, he passed the BAR exam and began his career as an aspiring defense attorney. Danny was on the right path towards a successful life, until one day one person took everything away.

I can still hear the words, “A brother and sister were found stabbed in their home” blasting through the speakers of the TV on that day in May. I had watched the story unfold on at least three different news stations, and I couldn’t stop searching the internet to find out more. All I knew was that Danny was in brain surgery, and the odds were against him.

It was his sister’s ex-boyfriend who pushed his way inside their house determined to kill. Danny heard his sister’s screams while getting ready for work and ran to her rescue. Because of this, he was stabbed nineteen times in the brain, the tendons in his right arm were severed, and he was kicked so hard that his spleen was lacerated. Now you might make the conclusion that this is the reason why I call Danny my “superman,” but there is more to the story.

One year and five surgeries later, Danny is fighting to get his life back. His days have switched from dealing with law cases to re-learning how to talk, read, and walk. He walks for two hours each day, despite a limp, and works on being able speak more words than “yes”. He has defied all the odds thus far, and I believe that in time he will be able to present his skills as a defense attorney.

Through all of this, Danny has changed my outlook on life. Before, I used to complain about simple tasks, such as going to work, but now I think of what Danny is doing at that moment. I know that he is working hard through the frustration and that gives me motivation. As I reflect back on my time with Danny, I notice that he has always inspired me, but I could never see it. Today, those inspirations are stronger than they have ever been. I believe that if Danny can do it then so can I.

I am fighting with Danny to get his life back by working hard at everything I do. Besides, every hero needs a sidekick, and I am ready to show Danny that I have all of the qualifications.

written by Meghan, Cousin to Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment